WELCOME TO THE APLHONSE GERWING FOUNDATION WEBSITE
A Note From Our President
Dear Relatives and Friends of the Alphonse Gerwing Charitable Foundation,
I want to wish you a blessed and peace-filled Christmas and a happy, healthy and prosperous 2018. As we enter a new year it is time again to give a progress report on the Foundation.
Our Foundation is currently supporting two projects in north-east Brazil that Al was instrumental in forming and funding. These projects are:
- The School of Family Agriculture, and
- Rural Women and Fisherwomen of Alagoas
These projects continue to support families in improving their ability to grow their own food, as well helping women to improve the quality of life for themsleves and their children. As you know, there are many continuing needs in the projects that Al started.
As you know, there are many continuing needs in the projects that Al started. I encourage each of you to consider becoming part of the Foundation. The earnings are used to fund projects each year so all contributons continue to "give" year after year. If you are interested in making a donation please go to the "Donation" section on this website.
We have had some exciting developments at the Foundation in 2017
- Charlie Matt, one of the Directors of the Foundation has taken over the President's position with the Rainbow of Hope For Children. As you may know, ROHFC is the organization that ensures that the donations we make are targeted to the projects Al had championed. Connie Gerwing, author of Al's memoirs is also serving on the board.
- At the Lake Lenore High School Graduation this last spring, the Al Gerwing fine Arts Award was given to Janaya Gerwing, daughter of Eric and Collette Gerwing and granddaughter of Reg and Emelia Gerwing. Congratulations Janaya!
- On Sept 1st, I had the honour of speaking about Al's many contributions and accomplishments at the opening ceremony of the Horizon School District in Humboldt as they installed Al as a member of their Wall of Fame. A well deserved recognition!
-Thanks to the initiative of Al's niece Helen Berscheid, we held an on-line "Al Gerwing Legacy Auction" to mark the 10th Anniversary of Al's death on Nov 9th, 2007. There was a total of 26 items up for auction and the on-line auction ended up raising around $2300.00. Sincere 'Thanks' to Helen, and to Roberta Hoiness and Charlie Matt for their help with the auction. Thank you to all of those who donated items to the auction and to those who bid on the items.
- I recently discovered a video we had made of Al's funeral mass in Lake Lenore. The video is now on the Al Gerwing Charitable Foundation website. Also on the website is a 15 minute slide show, with many pictures of Al, that was shown at the recerption after Al's funeral. You may enjoy reviving memories of our remarkable Al.
- The Foundation's investment portfolio had another solid year. For 2017, we will be distributing $25,000.00 to Al's causes.. Thank you to Ted Gerwing, our invaluable secretary-treasurer for overseeing our investment portfolio.
Speaking of technology, Check out the Al Gerwing Foundation Facebook account. Please watch for it, "Like" it when you see it and help us spread the news to your "friends".
Al's memoirs, entitled No Ordinary Man: The Memoirs of Alphonse Gerwing are still available and make excellent gifts. Copies can be obtained through the "Al's Store" tab located at the top of the web page. Thanks again to Connie Gerwing, Al's niece, for the completion of this labour of love.
Once again, best wishes to each of you. Thank you for your support of Al's Foundation. I encourage you to consider the Alphonse Gerwing Charitable Foundation as one of your 'charities of choice' for this coming year.
Steve Buttinger, Chairperson
Alphonse Gerwing Charitable Foundation
As you know, the purpose of the Foundation is to keep Al’s projects (and memory) alive long into the future.
You can help
By contributing to the foundation, you can help to ensure that Al’s work will continue to make a difference in people’s lives.
“Remember that when you leave this earth, you can take with you nothing that you received- only what you have given; a full heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice and courage.”
- St. Francis of Assisi
You can make a donation by cheque or through any of the options listed on the Donations web page. Another option to consider is a "direct deposit". Direct deposit enables a donor to make a regular donation each month by having the donation transferred to the Foundation automatically. If you are interested in either of these options please contact our treasurer, Ted Gerwing at (306)374-9771 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you can use your credit card click the button below. To receive a receipt in the mail, please fill out the shipping address form on PayPal. Donations can be made out to the Alphonse Gerwing Charitable Foundation and sent to 14 Harvard Cres., Saskatoon, SK., S7H 3R1
Foundation brochures can be downloaded from the Our Brochures pick on the web site. If you would like to receive more information, contact:
Ted Gerwing - Sec. Treasurer
1-306-374-9771 14 Harvard Cres., Saskatoon, SK., S7H 3R1 (306) 374-9771
Steve Buttinger - CEO
390 Waterloo Cr., Saskatoon, SK., S7H 4H6 (306) 374-3345
Charlie Matt/Vicki Gerwing (Web & Info)
Roberta Hoiness (Social Media Coordinator)